Underground Storage Tanks (USTs)
Every underground storage tank (UST) contains hazardous substances. The most common hazardous materials stored in USTs are gasoline and diesel. The goal of this department is to not only protect the residence of Plumas County, but the wildlife, groundwater and natural environment as well. Through permitting, construction plan checks, annual facility inspections, monitoring, and tank closure activities, the Department of Environmental Health is able to maintain Federal, State, and local laws, regulate the construction, operation, repair and removals of UST systems and work congruently with facility owners, State, and local agencies.
UST INSTALLATION, MODIFICATION OR REPAIR
Prior to beginning work, you must submit a UST Permit Application (PDF). The same application is used for installation, modification and repair work. Environmental Health will perform a technical review of the proposal, which includes:
- Review of equipment to be used
- Review of contractor information
- At minimum, one site inspection.
- Potential soil and/or groundwater sampling.
If the proposed work is approved, a UST Installation, Modification or Repair letter will be issued by Environmental Health to both the UST owner and the contractor. It will list site-specific construction and inspection requirements. Work may begin upon receipt of the approval letter. No construction is permitted until the receipt of your approval letter.
Annual facility inspections ensure that all UST sites are in compliance with all state codes and regulations under California Health and Safety Code Chapter 6.7 (PDF) and California Code of Regulations Title 23 (PDF).
Forms and Applications:
- UST Installation/Modification/Repair Application (PDF)
- UST Temporary Closure Application (PDF)
- UST Permanent Closure Application (PDF)
- UST Closure Certification (PDF)
Companies and Consultants:
- Business Activities
- Business Owner/Operator Identification
- Hazardous Materials Inventory
- Include all products in USTs
- Upload a Site Map (PDF)
- Upload an accurate Emergency Response/Contingency Plan (PDF)
- Complete the UST Facility Operating Permit Application
- Complete a UST Tank Information/Monitoring Plan for each tank and compartment
- Complete and upload a Monitoring Site Plan (PDF)
- Complete and upload a Certification of Financial Responsibility (PDF) (annually)
- Complete and upload a Response Plan (PDF)
- Complete and upload a Letter from Chief Financial Officer (PDF) (annually)
- Complete and upload a Statement of Designated UST Operator (PDF)