All businesses handling hazardous materials are required to make annual electronic submittals through CERS to report facility information, hazardous materials inventory, site map, and emergency response and training plans. Additional information is required if the business participates in additional CUPA programs such as: 

CERS: Frequently Asked Questions

How do I create a CERS account?

  1. Go to CERS homepage at CERS
  2. On the CERS homepage there is a log in option for Businesses (Green) and Regulators (Blue). Click on the 'Business Portal Sign-In'.
  3. Select the green button that says 'Create New Account' and follow the prompts
  4. An email will be sent, prompting you to activate your account. Follow the instructions given in that email. You will then be asked to sign in at the Business Portal.
  5. If needed, request access to your business information.

I already have a CERS account, how do I log in?

  1. On the CERS homepage there is a login option for Businesses (Green) and Regulators (Blue). Click on the 'Business Portal Sign-In'.
  2. Enter your User ID and click 'Next'
  3. Enter your password and click 'Next' to continue.
  4. If you have forgotten your User ID or Password or are having difficulty logging in, select 'Forget your user name and password?' located just below the text box and follow the screen promptings.

How often do I need to update my account?

  1. Any time a change occurs at the facility the CERS account needs to be updated to reflect that change within 30-days. Changes to the facility that trigger a new CERS submittal include but are not limited to: change in ownership, change in operators, new hazardous materials coming on site, layout of the site, and emergency and primary contact changes.
  2. Facilities are required to update their account yearly, at minimum, even if there are no changes to be made. CERS has created a feature that allows owners to quickly resubmit previous information when no changes are necessary. Please note that if a facility has not made an annual update to their account, Environmental Health will not issue a new permit.

When is my annual CERS submittal due?

Every facility must submit their annual submittal on or before March 1 per California Health and Safety code 6.95 section 25508(a)(1). MEMO (PDF)

I don't have any changes to make to my yearly submittal, can I resubmit the same information?

YES, select the start submittal button for each element and when prompted say 'start submittal based on previous' then save the information.

How do I add a new user to my account?

  1. Select your business
  2. Click on 'People/Users'
  3. Click on 'Add a Person' and follow the screen promptings.

How do I edit an existing user?

  1. Select the user you wish to make changes to and select the edit button located at the bottom of the page and make your changes.
  2. Be sure to save your changes.

How do I view my business information?

1. After you have successfully logged in, select your facility
2. Click 'Start/Edit Submittal' 
3. Select and click on the page you wish to view.

How do I update/edit my business information?

1. Select the page you want to edit
2. Click on the 'Start New Submittal' link and choose 'Based on a copy of the last submittal'
3. Review your information and make changes
4. Save changes to create a draft
5. Submit ALL draft pages to update CERS facility data.

If you have any questions, concerns, or need help with your CERS account, please contact our office at (530) 283-6355.