Voter Information Requests
Voter registration information is NOT public data and state laws govern how and by whom voter registration information may be used.
WARNING: The authorized recipients of the voter registration information are responsible for the security of all voter registration information provided through their request.
Please carefully read the following instructions to request the voter registration file or a specific voter's registration information.
- Applicant MUST complete and return the entire application (with ALL sections completed) to the Plumas County Elections office. Emailed and faxed applications are NOT accepted.
- Applicant MUST provide as much detailed information as possible for the specified use of the voter registration records.
- Election: information identifying the California candidate(s) or ballot measure(s)
- Candidate: information identifying federal, state, or local office
- Committee for/against any initiative or referendum measure: information identifying the California initiative or referendum for which legal publication is made
- Political: documentation establishing affiliation with the political organization
- Scholarly: letter from a representative of the institution (professor, administrator, etc.) on the institution's letterhead stating that the applicant is authorized to receive the data
- Journalistic: a clear photocopy of press pass
- The application MUST include an ORIGINAL signature.
- The application MUST include a clear copy of the applicant's current driver's license or state identification card.
- The fee MUST be included with the application.
If the application is approved, the applicant will be given the data according to how they indicated they would like to receive it on the application. If it was indicated the applicant wanted it mailed, we will send it. If the applicant indicated they would like to pick it up in person, we will alert them once it is ready.
If the application is denied, Plumas County Elections will send a letter to the applicant explaining why the request was denied, along with all application materials.
All applicants are responsible for thoroughly reading through the application packet and ensuring they understand prohibited/authorized uses of voter registration information. Relevant law is included in the packet.
|VOTER INFORMATION REQUEST FEES:
|Available for Election and Governmental Purposes Only
|Voter Information File Request Type
|Master Voter Index CD-Data- Secretary of State Form Required
|Select Election-Specific Request Report
|Select Voter Index by Supervisor Report CD
|Select Voter Index by District CD (Under 1,000 Voters)
|Select Voter Index by District CD (Over 1,000 Voters)
Specific voter record request: Applicant MUST provide sufficient details of why a specific voter's information is needed and how it will be used in conformance with California Code of Regulations sections 19001-19009. Applicant MUST also attach as much detail as possible about the voter whose record they are trying to obtain (first name, last name, date of birth, address, etc.) in the designated area of the application. Plumas County Elections will reach out to the applicant if there are not sufficient details to locate a single voter record. Applicant can request up to 10 specific voter records per application.
Processing time: Requests will be processed in the order received. Once received, the requests can take 7-14 business days to review and process. Plumas County Elections will determine whether the application is complete and whether state law permits the proposed use of the voter registration information.
Data format: If the application is approved, county/district requests are distributed on a CD in raw data format. Please note that some districts may not be included in the file if counties are in the process of redistricting at the time the data as extracted.
End use: Once the requested information is received, Plumas County Elections is not responsible for end-user technical support for processing raw data files that are purchased and does not provide training or assistance on converting the data for usage. Once the voter registration information has been sent to the applicant, no refunds will be issued.