All vaccines and medication come with some amount of risk, just as all diseases present risk. Parents should weigh the risk vs. benefit.
- There is a 1 in 1,000,000 risks of encephalitis from the MMR vaccine. Comparatively, the risk of encephalitis from contracting measles is 1 in 1,000.
- There is a 0-10.5 in 1,000,000 risks of encephalitis from DTaP; Comparatively, there is a 1 in 20 risk of death from diphtheria; 2 in 10 risks of death from tetanus; and 1 in 20 risks of Encephalitis /1 in 1,500 risks of death from pertussis.
- The fact is that a child is far more likely to be seriously injured by a disease that could be prevented by the vaccine than the vaccine itself.
- Many parents say they will only vaccinate their children if there are zero risks. Unfortunately, the risk of their child getting a preventable disease, or being seriously injured or dying from that disease, is not zero.
- The risk of encephalitis or severe allergic reaction from the MMR vaccine is 1 in 1,000,000;
The risk of pneumonia from measles: 6 in 100
The risk of death from measles: 2 in 1,000