I am the victim of a crime and I want to drop charges. Can I do this?

The decision to drop charges in any criminal prosecution can only be made by a prosecutor with the approval of a judge. The victim’s wishes alone do not dictate whether or not a case will be filed or dismissed.

If you are the victim of a crime and have questions about the resources available to you, contact the Plumas County Victim/Witness Assistance Division at (530) 283-6285.

Show All Answers

1. I need some legal advice or a referral to an attorney. Can the District Attorney's Office help me with this?
2. I was arrested. Can the District Attorney's Office give me a copy of my police report?
3. I want a restraining order to keep my spouse or other person away from me. Will the District Attorney’s Office do this for me?
4. I am the victim of a crime and I want to drop charges. Can I do this?
5. I was the victim of a crime. How do I find out what is happening with the case in court?
6. I am the defendant in a criminal case. Can I talk to the District Attorney?
7. I received a subpoena. What do I do?
8. I am a merchant. Can the District Attorney’s Office help me collect a bad check?
9. In court, the judge ordered the defendant to pay restitution to me. So far I haven’t received any money. What should I do?
10. Can I report a crime to the District Attorney’s Office?
11. I was cited and released by the police. Can you tell me if the District Attorney filed charges against me?
12. Is David Hollister the person working on my case? Can I talk to him?
13. Is Mr. Hollister available to speak before a community group (Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, etc.)?
14. I am a student and interested in becoming a prosecutor. Does the District Attorney’s Office have any type of program that can help me?