Organizational History & Structure
Plumas County Museum is a county-owned facility funded by the County of Plumas and in part by the nonprofit Plumas County Museum Association.
History of the Museum's Collections
The museum's collections originated with the memorabilia assembled for exhibit in the Memorial Room at the Plumas County Courthouse in 1921 by the Native Daughters of the Golden West and the Native Sons of the Golden West. This room is now the Plumas County Recorder's Office. A small portion of the collection was moved to the courthouse lobby where it resided until construction of the museum in 1968. Many items were also gathered for eventual inclusion in the museum by the Plumas County Historical Society, formed in 1960.
A Community Donated Collection
Since 1968, the citizens of Plumas County have been so generous with their donations that it was necessary to construct an addition adjacent to the museum, obtain and restore the Coburn-Variel Home, and in 1997, construct a Carriage House for storage. The bulk of the collection is donations from the communities of Plumas County. The museum has thousands of artifacts representing just about every aspect of Plumas County.
The museum building was constructed in 1968, with formal dedication on June 7, 1969. Funding came from the bequest of Stella Fay Miller, a member of a Plumas County pioneer family. Situated at 500 Jackson Street, directly behind the Plumas County Courthouse in the county seat of Quincy, the museum is operated with the historical interests of the entire county in mind.
Full-time staff consist of an executive director, a museum curator, and a museum registrar. A board of directors appointed by the Plumas County Board of Supervisors oversees the museum's operations. The board members represent all parts of Plumas County.
For More Information
If you have any questions, please email Museum Director Scott Lawson at (530) 283-6320.